It seems like my entire life is revolving around the concept of "less is more" lately. Since last year, I have been on a crusade to "lessen" my surroundings, and as a matter of fact, it has actually worked. I may always want "less" than I have, in terms of posessions; but part of the blessing of having a husband and children means that there will always be more clutter than I really want. However, I am gradually learning to see that as a blessing, also, and will always strike to find a balance between what is "less" and what is "more" (i.e. too much).
As to diet, however; I have decided, for fun and a challenge to myself, to try to limit our diet/menu for one month to recipes from the "More With Less" cookbook, and possibly some from the "Set for Life" cookbook, as well. Given the increasing global crisis over oil and the impact it continues to have on fuel costs, as well as groceries, along with the nuclear crisis in Japan, I have experienced a continued growing concern over food costs and availability. Rather than wait until we are forced into a true crisis mode, I though it would be fun and educational to try this venture, along with extended family members who want to try experiment with me and swap ideas and recipe ratings. My personal goals for this month are to learn how to further appreciate and implement a more simplified diet, cheaper sources of protein, and even some smart planning and advance preparation (such as making my own frozen, pre-baked pie crusts and bread dough!).Freezing pre-baked items should help considerably on freezer space, of which I have "less."
At any rate, tonight we will dine on baked chicken and something else.....not sure what yet. I will raid MWL for a good side dish idea.
3 comments:
Vietnemese Fried Rice for supper. Very good! Adam really liked it and said we should eat like this all the time. He really likes Asian food.
Supper last night; chicken and noodles (p. 46). Delicious! I added carrots, celery, and dried basil. This should be a staple - esp. with homemade or homestyle noodles.
I failed to mention that the chicken & noodles makes quite a lot, and is also very filling. It is a high protein meal. I should also mention that I always add a little chicken boullion to my homemade chicken broth.
Post a Comment